It was a day that so many in the Estevan area had been waiting for: the end of public health restrictions associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.
The restrictions were lifted on Sunday, 16 months after the first measures were put in place. And the difference was noticeable already, with people able to gather in large groups in both public and private settings, and no longer having to wear masks.
The City of Estevan has had varying degrees of restrictions since last March on its facilities, but they went back to normal on Sunday, which was great, said Mayor Roy Ludwig. Barriers that were used to direct people have been removed.
“It might take a day or two for everyone to be cognisant of the fact that all of these restrictions will be over. It might take a day or two of adjustment,” Ludwig told the Mercury. “I’m sure very quickly everything will go back to normal.”
Ludwig lauded the city staff for the great work they have done at adjusting to the changes in restrictions. They adapted through the requirements for additional cleanliness, and adjusted when they needed to after facilities were closed or when measures were amended.
“They rose to the occasion with the restrictions when they came in. They did what was necessary. They took all of the recommendations that the province put forward. They adhered to them.”
And while the city has had a few instances in which people didn’t think they needed to wear masks, most people did a good job of handling the restrictions.
Restrictions and masks were needed, and he’s sure people will enjoy their regained freedoms.
Estevan city council had a scheduled meeting on July 12, and Ludwig was looking forward to a mask-free meeting.
The Estevan Market Mall decided not to put much emphasis on the end of restrictions in Saskatchewan, since many of their tenants have head offices in other provinces and may have different regulations for their employees.
Besides, they respect that many people may still choose to stick to the health measures that were in place before due to their personal circumstances, and the mall is the place where community happens, as their motto states, so they do their best to be inclusive for everyone.
"Everything we do has been solid and trying to keep up pace," said Martin Blair, managing director of First Aberdeen Properties Ltd., which owns the Estevan Market Mall. "As mall owners, we are just facilitating."
Blair said that while they just went back to normal on July 11, the pandemic hit retailers hard and they were happy to see the restrictions coming to an end.
"A lot of people would not have bought online, so a lot of sales went away. But I think what some people have learned over this, I know I have, is that you really start to appreciate the social aspects of actually being a local purchaser. Actually going into the store and shopping, and looking at things, and actually buying something, trying it on and walking out. And the interaction even with the salesperson is a far more enriching experience," Blair said.
Shopping local became even more valuable these days, as it not only meant that customers supported local business owners, who are often their neighbours or people they are connected to one way or the other, but it also meant that those who choose conscious consumption could feel proud of their choices. And now that in-person shopping became easier, that feeling can once again be shared with the rest of the community.
Blair added they were really excited to see the lifting of the restrictions, which means that there will be more jobs again to be filled and more will be happening in and around the mall. He added they hope people will just naturally return to their in-person shopping habits as everything is easy, and hopefully more entertaining now.
The mall still has sanitizing stations in place and puts no emphasis on the masks.
Most restaurants in the area were also happy to see the restrictions lifted on Sunday. Gibby's threw in a Masks Off party that started at 12 a.m. on Sunday, celebrating the return to pre-pandemic with people dancing and singing together for the first time in a long span.
Eddie Webster's Bar and Grill was also glad to see the changes coming.
They didn't do anything special and expected to see a quieter day on Sunday, as most people are out camping, but instead, they ended up being really busy with customers eager to celebrate the pandemic milestone with their families.
"People are celebrating, they're happy. We are so happy to see their faces, their smiles. I think everyone is really glad and is celebrating that the restrictions are lifted," said the restaurant general manager Ivy Mababa.
While they treated July 11 as a regular day, Mababa said that the provincial changes in health regulations meant a lot to them.
"We are excited because our restaurant has been working so hard to protect our employees and customers. So this (the end of restrictions) gives us time to release and talk to our customers (more). On our part, it's good in a way that we won't need to stop anyone from coming in because they believe that they don't have to wear masks. It was hard for us to ask, even though we just had to instill the restrictions. That wasn't our decision. It was made by public health and we couldn't do anything about it. But now they're free. And everyone is welcome to come in," said Mababa.
Mababa added that they took down the plastic barriers in most spots including the VLT area, but they kept the more permanent ones up, just in case something changes again in the future.
Prior to removing the mandatory mask mandate and other safety measures, Eddie Webster's management also spoke to the employees to ensure they feel comfortable with the changing environment.
"We spoke to all the employees (emphasizing) that this will be optional, especially for the masks. If you feel that you want to keep on your mask, then we will respect that, and you are free to do so," Mababa said, adding that employees' and customers' safety remains their priority and if anyone feels they want to wear a mask or follow any other rules that were in place prior to July 11, they'll do their best to accommodate those needs.
Among the facilities that won’t see a big difference is St. Joseph’s Hospital. CEO Greg Hoffort said people will still be asked to wear a mask inside the hospital.
Patients will be allowed two designated visitors, one at a time. Everyone will still be screened when they enter the building.
As for the long-term care side, the restrictions are being eased to allow for more visiting.
“That will be nice for our residents. It’s been a long year for them. Family will be able to have a lot more access. We’ll still be screening and taking some precautions, but it’s nice for them to have some more visiting opportunities there.”
The staff has done a great job of coping with the past 16 months. They are a resilient group that has handled change after change.
“We’ve also noticed, over time, from the start to where we are 16 months later, how they’ve adapted really well, and they’ve learned more about it over time, as everyone has, but they’ve managed through it well, and through some really hectic times.”
The hospital had a couple of busy months with COVID patients in April and May, which added a lot to the workload of the medical unit. They had to deal with extra precautions, isolation, personal protective equipment and more.
Hoffort also applauded the public for their co-operation during the past 16 months.