HUMBOLDT — Two vital Humboldt organizations that help the less fortunate have yet to see an increase of services due to COVID-19, however they are not facing the potential increase unprepared.
The Humboldt and District Food Bank and the Humboldt Soup Kitchen said they have yet to see an increase in their numbers but are doing all they can to have a strategy in place for an increased demand for their services.
Shirley Reiter with the Humboldt and District Food Bank said they will evaluate their numbers every week as the pandemic continues to impact people’s livelihoods. Food Banks Canada and Food Banks Saskatchewan are leaving opening or closure decisions up to each individual food bank, Reiter said. The Humboldt location has chosen to stay open.
“Part of it too will depend on whether we have volunteers. Our volunteers are all older and we know that that’s part of the population that is more at risk,” Reiter said.
While the food bank remains open, that also means more safety measures in place to ensure the health of volunteers and clients. During Tuesday pick ups, only one client will be allowed in the building at one time and hampers will be prepared beforehand so clients can be served more efficiently.
Reiter said she had already received multiple calls last week asking about where food and money donations can be sent. With so much support continuing to come from the community, Reiter said she does not anticipate any problems with keeping the hampers stocked.
“Our shelves are quite full at this time so as long our local grocery stores can supply what we run out of – and I don’t anticipate any problems there – then we’re fine.”
On that note, keeping the food bank open will still depend on how the situation with COVID-19 develops.
The Humboldt Soup Kitchen also has yet to see an increase from their regular crowd, but they are also anticipating higher numbers in the future.
The meal service has moved to a pick up only and delivery system for the time being with no dine in option for their Tuesday night crowds, but they will continue to serve the community the best they can, said Matteo Carboni, the chair of the kitchen’s board of directors.
“We haven’t seen an increase yet, but as of right now, jobs are ending and people are going into quarantine in Humboldt. People’s savings, I’m suspecting, are still there.”
With the anticipated increase in numbers, Carboni said they will be looking for more funding and supply options to ensure they are able to stay open for those in need as COVID-19 continues.
Everyone visiting the Soup Kitchen or receiving a delivery needs to practice social distancing in order to keep volunteers and themselves safe.
People who have been coming in to pick up food seem to be doing this naturally, Carboni said, by trickling in instead of coming in groups, but people are going to have to be conscious of this when having people delivered.
In order to keep the food safe, volunteers will continue to use the best practices that have always been in place, he said, including wearing gloves and consistently washing their hands.